What to Expect When You’re Expecting: Beauty Edition
Celebrities like Jessica Simpson and Kristen Calvalari look beautiful during their pregnancy – but they don’t do it alone. Having unlimited access to the best experts and advice makes navigating the wide world of maternity beauty that much easier. Here is list of some easy maternity tips to help!
How does pregnancy affect hair?
- Pregnancy affects every woman’s hair differently. Some may notice that their hair gets thicker while others may find that it gets thinner; some experience oilier hair, while others battle dryness.
- To maintain healthy hair, she recommends a well-balanced diet and making sure moms-to-be get all necessary nutrients.
What are the best ways to handle the changes happening on your scalp?
- Teca Lewellyn, P&G Beauty Scientist recommends switching your shampoo to account for the changes happening. She says, “If hair tends to get dry, switch to a moisturizing shampoo, or if it becomes curly, try switching to a curls shampoo. Just pay attention to how your hair changes and work with it.”
- If you find that hair becomes dry with pregnancy, swap in Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp Care Shampoo and Conditioner, which contains almond oil to help the skin maintain moisture. This system helps to create manageable hair that is protected and ready for your daily styling routine.
What does pregnancy do to skin?
- Some women won’t see any noticeable effects during their pregnancy.
- However, some experience several changes in the skin including dryness, itchiness, acne and stretch marks.
- In the meantime, find products that work with your changing skin type. For instance, keep dry legs looking silky smooth with the Venus & Olay Razor.
- The five blades combined with Olay Moisture Bars help lock-in moisture for less dryness and a smooth shave.
- Another common issue that many pregnant women experience is chloasma, also known as the mask of pregnancy. It manifests as muddy brown patches that are typically symmetrically distributed on the face (cheeks, forehead, nose, chin, etc.).
- If this happens, Dr. Lefkowicz recommends careful sun avoidance and protection since UV exposure will make it worse.
- To help keep your facial skin looking great from pregnancy and beyond, try Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream. This “super cream” helps to restore the volume and shape of the skin’s surface cells smoothing the skin and restoring elasticity.
A baby on the way means limited time to focus on my makeup routine – how can I achieve an effortless look with limited time?
- To be ready at a moment’s notice – like that inevitable hospital picture with new baby and family –Celebrity Makeup Artist Jake Bailey recommends looking for products that are multi-taskers. COVERGIRL + Olay Tone Rehab 2-in-1 Foundation is easy to apply and contains Olay serums that keeps the foundation from drying.
- You can apply a full face of liquid foundation in less than 30 seconds if you rub a dime size dollop between your palms and blend over your face and neck thoroughly the same way you would apply a lotion.
- These liquid foundations are perfect because they still allow some of that new mom glow to shine through.
- Another time-saving tip is to do your lips and cheeks simultaneously with a sheer lipstick. Look for one just a shade brighter than your natural lip color. Try CoverGirl Natureluxe Gloss Balm, Peony
- First apply to your lips from the tube.
- If you have a sheer formula there is less need for meticulous application. Just apply and smack…no mirror necessary! Then lightly dot the lipstick into the apples of both cheeks and blend in with your fingertips.
- Lastly, curl your lashes and apply a rich black mascara. CoverGirl LashBlast 24hr formula will last all day.
- If you still have time, smudge a tiny bit of cream or liquid shadow into your lash line using your fingertip and voilà – a beautiful, fuss-free look in a fraction of the time.
Always remember, no one expects you to look perfect. Sometimes, that new mom glow and permanent smile on your face is all you need!