The annual Met Gala is a beauty and fashion lovers dream. A red carpet filled with the best beauty looks of the year, all curated by the top makeup artists from all around the country! There were so many amazing looks this year that I decided to create two “Best of Beauty” posts to highlight them all. First round: makeup. Enjoy!
BLAKE LIVELY: “This look is very classic but very glamorous. We wanted to nod to Charles James’ aesthetic by creating a look reminiscent of vintage Hollywood but modernize it with a muted red lip.”
Key NARS products used:
MARION COTILLARD: “The dress makes a graphic statement and we complemented it with glowing skin, iridescent eyes and richly pigmented lips,” says makeup artist Christophe Danchaud.
- Danchaud began by prepping Marion’s skin with Hourglass’ No. 28 Primer Serum.
- He followed with Hourglass Veil Fluid Makeup in 1.5 and Hourglass Hidden Corrective Concealer in Pearl.
- He finished with Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light applied all over the face to create a soft-focus effect.
- He applied Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush in Radiant Magenta, a golden fuchsia blush, to create a stunning glow.
- Danchaud used Hourglass Visionaire Eye Shadow in Exhibition.
- He began by applying the shimmer lilac shade all over her lids.
- He then applied the dark mauve shade in the duo close to her lash line and to the outer corner of her eye.
- He extended the mauve shade to underneath her eyes, close to the lash line.
- To lighten up his handiwork, he used a gold pigment on the lids.
- Finally, he applied several coats of mascara.
- He defined the brows with Hourglass Arch Brow Sculpting Pencil in Dark Brunette.
- Danchaud lined the lips with Hourglass Panoramic Long Wear Lip Liner in Raven, a new shade for summer.
- He followed with a mix of Hourglass Femme Rouge Velvet Crème Lipstick in Raven and Muse creating a sensual orange red shade.
JANNELLE MONAE: ”The Met Gala is one the biggest fashion events in New York City. It’s a night where fashion meets beauty and this year my beauty was the talented Janelle Monae”
- I massaged a light weight moisturizer all over her face and along her neck. Giving the moisturizer plenty of time to penetrate the skin, I then applied a pore minimizing primer all over her face using a synthetic brush.
- Using a sponge, I applied COVERGIRL truBLEND Foundation all over Janelle’s face, starting by her nose and blending upwards and outwards.
- Using my ring finger, I sparingly dabbed truBLEND Concealer under her eyes.
- To highlight and begin to give her skin dimension, I applied truMAGIC Luminizer on top of her cheek bones, down her nose and a tiny bit to her lips cupid’s bow.
- To contour her face I applied Queen Collection Bronzer in Ebony Bronze around her hair line, under her cheek bone, along the jaw bone and slightly down the sides of her nose.
- I brushed her brows into place with a clean mascara wand and using a firm angle brush, filled them in with a medium brown shadow.
- I applied a skin tone matte shadow to her lid and then, with a windshield wiper motion, applied a soft brick color, COVERGIRL Queen Collection Shadow Pot in Dazzle, to her crease with a blending brush.
- I lined her water line with Bombshell Intensity Liner in Pitch Black Passion and then created a perfect winged look.
- I finished with false lashes and then applied two coats of the new Bombshell Curvaceous Mascara for a really dark, intense look.
LIPS AND NAILS:
- Now that her eyes and skin are finished I used a cherry red liner to define her lips, filled them in slightly and accentuated her cupid’s bow.
- COVERGIRLs richly pigmented, and Janelle’s signature, LipPerfection Lipcolor in Hot #305 was then applied with a lip brush ( for ultimate precision) and an electrifying red carpet look was born!
Janelle was rocking COVERGIRL Nail Gloss in Ever Reddy on her nails!
STACY MARTIN: ”Stacy is wearing a colorful Miu Miu dress with stunning embellishments so we created a fresh look to accentuate her natural beauty without competing with the dress! We created a minimalistic look with a touch of bronzy glow for a flawless finish,” mark Celebrity Makeup Artist Jamie Greenberg said.
- I applied Boscia Moisturizer all over her face to start.
- Then, in a two-step process, I buffed the skin with mark’s Got The Goods Multi-Benefit Foundation Lotion Broad Spectrum SPF 15 and let it set.
- Next, using a foundation brush I went over any translucent areas with mark’s Min-A-Real Cream-to-Powder Foundation to ensure full coverage.
- I applied mark’s Island Beauty Face Compact to Stacy’s cheeks, lightly contouring with the bronze shade and highlighting with the champagne shade.
- I used Jouer Brow Fix Gel to shape the brows
- Then created a subtle cat eye using mark’s Get In Line Hook Up Liquid Waterproof Eyeliner in Painted Black.
- I applied Ardell Lashes 301 to the corner of Stacy’s eyes and finished with multiple coats of mark’s Lash All You Want High Volume Mascara in Blackest Black.
LIPS: I completed the look by accentuating her natural lip color using mark’s Lipclick Full Color Lipstick in Baby Luv.